Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pneumonia

It's official...when one is coughing up blood from the lungs, one should find him/herself immediately at an urgent care. We had some indication Adam's condition was serious when the Target Minute Clinic refused to see him, and the nurse Adam spoke with on the phone from the Park Nicollet Bloomington clinic urged him not to drive and recommended he go directly to an ER. The Fairview urgent care staff quarantined him, in the event that he had TB...cue "I'm your Huckleberry", Tombstone. A blood test and chest X-ray confirmed that Adam has pneumonia, the culmination of a solid week of illness. The attending MD originally prescribed antibiotics that threatened to set us back over $350 for 10 pills. Adam opted for the less expensive $13 option, gambling that his strain is not one that is resistant to azithromycin.

Considering I've been sick since last Tuesday (Feb 22), I'm probably going to have to find myself at the urgent care tomorrow. My bloody mucous has come and gone, mostly, leaving a rattling cough and a piercing sore throat in its wake. Unlike Adam, though, I feel like I'm finally on the right side of this thing. It would be difficult to imagine that it could get worse.

We are a mess, but at least now we might finally be on the path to recovery. Hopefully our energy returns, too. It's been a very long 10 days trying to nurse sick kids (who have also succumbed to varying degrees of this illness, which I would argue began as influenza), keep up with healthy kids and their respective activities once they're feeling better, go to work, keep our household from falling into total disarray, while trying to keep ourselves alive (literally).

Some days that's all we can do.

No comments: