After 6 1/2 years we have enough daycare transitions under our belt that I no longer panic at the thought of a scheduling change; however, in all these years it hasn't gotten any easier to leave a loving place in search for another.
On August 29 after the boys and I spent the day with Jordan, Braxon, Carter, and Skyla in St. Peter, we interviewed Stefanie and her family and were pleasantly surprised with her business model. She recently shortened her work day, opening at 7 and closing promptly at 5, because she also cherishes time with her family. Her day with the kids is very scheduled and utilizes curriculum called Funshine Express [Buttercups]. During our conversation, we also learned that the Berges' attend TLC and that Stefanie has known Renee Jefferson, the director of education at TLC, for the better part of her life. When I asked if she felt comfortable recommending Stefanie, Renee e-mailed me the following:
"Yes, I have known Stephanie since I taught her in confirmation at Woodlake Lutheran. I think she is good with children and enjoys doing child care. I know she goes for walks with the children and schedules fun activities. I have visited her during child care times and observed watchfulness and organization and spaces dedicated to children. Her own children, Brianna and Bryce (8th & 7th Grade) are very gentle with children, as well."
After a thoughtful discussion, Adam and I decided we would give Jane her one-month notice and begin care with Stefanie on October 4. In the meantime, Jane had a scheduled vacation on September 8, so we asked Stefanie if she would be willing to provide back-up care. The boys had a fabulous day. Here they pose for pictures that Stefanie incorporated into a craft for Grandparent's Day.


On September 29, we said a bittersweet goodbye to Jane, who was an answer to other prayers during a different daycare transition. The boys began their regular schedule today. I dropped the boys off and Adam promptly returned to retrieve Aaron so he could attend a field trip to Dodge Nature Center with his preschool from 9-11:30. While Aaron was away, Nolan baked apple muffins with his new friends. Aaron was pleased to learn that one of his classmates, Anika, also attends daycare with Mrs. Stefanie, along with her baby sister, Maia. Serendipitously, we recently learned that one of our dear camp friends, Dett, and his wife, Becky, are also considering Tender Heart for their twins [affectionately referred to as Double Detts, in utero] when the time comes.






No comments:
Post a Comment