Now it's not just my heart running around outside my body, but also my conscience...
Last week during a shopping trip to Cub, I informed Aaron that we would no longer be purchasing the OJ that comes packaged in large plastic containers. Why? Because I have long lamented the quantity of plastic our family "recycles" every week...and now I'm trying to do something about it. From now on we are going to be the family who buys OJ in the cardboard container.
As is often the case in life, I quickly had the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is. This afternoon while scanning the weekly flier, I eyed the buy Tropicana Pure Premium OJ, get FREE Cub large eggs coupon. This OJ is one of Aaron's favorites, but also comes packaged in aforementioned objectionable plastic. I disregarded the voice in my head as I reached down to select the no pulp, calcium and vitamin D fortified option. In the same moment, Aaron hopped out of the car cart and simultaneously informed me that he thought we weren't going to buy OJ in plastic.
I showed him the coupon...and explained the great savings.
He wasn't having it. Mom...but why would we want to get the OJ in the plastic jug just so we could get some free eggs? Translated...Mom, why would we want to compromise our ideals for a couple of dollars.
AAARG. This conscience is much louder, more persistent...way more difficult to disregard. I stood...in the refrigerator aisle at the back of the store, immobilized...agonizing over OJ.






No comments:
Post a Comment