Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lying In



I own a book called, "Natural Health After Birth" by Aviva Jill Romm. There is a chapter in the beginning of the book dedicated to new mother care around the world. In the US during colonial times:

"childbirth was a woman's event and the woman invited the help of friends and neighbors, and the entire community would pitch in, not only to help with the birth, but to help with the postpartum care. Anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks was considered a suitable lying-in period, during which a woman rested, and other people helped for free with the care of her other children and the house..."

Today I shipped my oldest sons to Matt and Molly's and Nolan and I spent the day resting. Really. Nolan is taking the 4th trimester concept seriously. He was content the entire day, resting in the fetal position on my lap while I wrote a few thank you notes, fed him, changed him...and napped with him.

It was glorious. I feel like a million bucks.

No comments: