Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Of puffers and God



Collin's fresh water puffer died sometime this week. Last week when we were cleaning the tank, Adam and I noticed that he (the large one) was struggling at the bottom of the tank. We've had this problem with puffers in the past...they are good eaters or they aren't...and if they aren't, they die.

At the end of this week, Collin and Adam were feeding the fish, and noticed a "seashell" or "snail" floating on the top of the tank. Upon further inspection, they realized it was the puffer. (Our small puffer is actually still MIA in the tank...probably already decomposed).

Last night I was home with the boys alone, while Adam visited Gustavus to honor his tennis coach. As we were walking up the stairs, Collin asked me, "Mommy, did my puffer go to heaven to be with God?"

"Of course, Collin. God takes care of all of his creation, so I'm sure God is taking care of your puffer."

"But Mom, Dad flushed him down the toilet..."

Crying ensued. Real sadness.

So...we had a conversation about the spirit and the body. I'm not sure how that went, given I was then asked questions like, "Will God heal my puffer and send him back to our family?" and "Can we go get our puffer back tomorrow at the pet store?"...but I tried. Given I have some of the same questions...I guess we're all learning on this one.

We're probably going to pass on puffers going forward. Collin picked out a fish for his 4th birthday with his Uncle Ryan last week. This fish is named "Best Life." This is the name Collin wanted for Nolan...ever since he knew about the baby. Why? "Because we have the 'best life' Mom."

He's right.

No comments: