Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Out like a lion

Today we experienced a South Dakota blizzard. We tracked it's progress across the state...and waited for it to arrive. We dreamed about such days when we were in school, anxiously watching the news to see if 'Estelline' and later, 'Deuel' would flash across the bottom of the TV screen, or be spoken in the early morning hours of KWAT, so we could spend the day at home. I'm not sure there was a kid in school yesterday in this state, even though the storm wasn't as bad at the farm as predicted. People took the news seriously. Even the interstate was closed from Brookings to the ND border.

In spite of the weather, we dressed as warmly as we could and ventured outside into the wind and snow. I had been invited on a sticky burr adventure, and I didn't want to miss my opportunity. I treated this like the sacred play that it is...and was allowed into the forest with my sword. It was great fun. Then Grandpa EIO and I took the kids on an adventure of our own...to the top of the hay mound. I spent days with Ellen up there looking for kittens, playing with kittens, and crying over sick kittens. Since the big wind storm of July 2007, the barn has been re-sided by Terry and his dad and recently cleaned by Grandpa. All of the straw is now absent from the loft, and the whole area has been shopvacced. It is impressive, but different. There will be no cats allowed in this new space.

Most things are different here now than how I remember them...but still magical to the right set of eyes.

No comments: