Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, March 20, 2009

Womansong



There is an amazing group of women who meet every Fall on the prairie in North Dakota to provide an opportunity for women to explore, in a natural setting, the fine are of living as a woman through art, music, and a renewed sense of community. I attended with members of my "tribe", women who I look to for guidance and strength, my mom and my aunts.

I was introduced to the following, titled "The Tribe" that weekend in September 2007:

"When a woman in a certain African tribe knows she is pregnant, she goes out into the wilderness with a few friends and together they pray and meditate until they hear the song of the child. They recognize that every soul has its own vibration that expresses its unique flavor and purpose. When the women attune to the song, they sing it out loud. Then they return to the tribe and teach it to everyone else. When the child is born, the community gathers and sings the child's song to him or her."

Nolan obviously wasn't born to this African tribe...but he was born to a Mom that knows these deep traditions are in all of us...somewhere.

In July, I began practicing yoga at CorePower Yoga studio in Edina. I attended a Vinyasa class 4 times a week. In these classes I learned some new postures, gained some flexibility...but most of all I was practicing how to let go of the ramblings of my mind and come into the present moment. At one of my classes, I met a woman who also taught at a prenatal yoga studio called, Blooma, so I began practicing yoga there as my pregnancy progressed. At Blooma I met a community of pregnant woman, committed to the idea that all of us have the tools necessary to birth this child that has been chosen for us to love and care for.

We would always end class in Shavasana, which is the finishing sequence that harmonises the energy (Prana) at the end of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga Practice. During Shavasana, I was introduced to the music of Snatam Kaur. Her music and her words were powerful for me...and I decided that I would listen to her album 'Grace' while birthing Nolan.

Now...I have birthed two other sons naturally, without the help of so much as a Tylenol. However, Nolan's labor was remarkably unlike the others for one important reason...I was different. I approached Nolan's labor and delivery with a sense of both confidence and surrender, knowing that if I surrendered to the moment instead of wishing my way through it, my body would do what it knows how to do. Fear was replaced with contentment in the present moment...and I delivered a healthy almost 10 pound baby, with a slight shoulder dystocia, in a little over 4 hours. He arrived quickly...so quickly his forehead was bruised. He had a full head of black hair and dark blue eyes. He spent the first hour of his life relaxing on my belly before being whisked away for statistics.

Nolan came into this world listening to the words of Santam Kaur...
By Thy Grace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6agBMFujPU&feature=related
"It is by thy grace that I sing your holy name,
It is by thy grace that I feel your holy name.
Some day the day shall come when all the glory shall be Thine,
People will say it is Yours, and I shall deny not mine."

"Peace to all, Life to all, Love to all...."

Long Time Sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1D3ejwQiVg

"May the long time sun,
shine upon you...
all love surround you.
and the pure light within you,
guide your way on, guide your way on."

Kaisa Johnson, CNM, helped in Nolan's labor and delivered him at 11:22 am. I had met Kaisa in clinic, which is also unique to Nolan's labor and delivery. Amy Brandel delivered Collin and Amy Knox delivered Aaron, and I hadn't met either one of them before delivery day. Both Collin and Aaron arrived listening to Enya's 'The Memory of Trees'. After 3 positive experiences with the nurse midwives at PN, I can say with confidence that the people you need at your labor will be there.

Why do I think these traditions of music are important? Because I believe music can help us remember who we are. My mom had a song she sang to us...to calm us..."Byo, Byo, Byo....Byo Baby By..." My Grandma Lavonna also had a song...a different song. These are Collin, Aaron and Nolan's songs...and now they will hear my song, too. I hope that they find comfort in it.

There are so few cultural traditions left in the US, that I am always surprised when people champion the benefits of American culture. I'm not sure what "American" culture means...but maybe the desire for "more" and "more" and "more"? I definitely want "more" for my children, as well...but not "more" of the things that I associate with American culture...I want them to experience more contentment, peace, joy, love, life...and less of the "mores".

It is my life's goal to try to teach them...after all...

"life is always reminding you when you are in tune with yourself and when you are not. When you feel good, what you are doing matches your song, and when you feel awful, it doesn't. In the end, we shall all recognize our song and sing it well. you may feel a little warbly at the moment, but so have all the great singers. just keep singing and you'll find your way home."

No comments: