Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Commitment


Today we celebrated with Linda and Maxine, as they publicly acknowledged their 20-year commitment to each other in the company of family and friends. We felt honored to be included...to witness this celebration of their love and ongoing commitment to each other.

They chose the Claddagh as a symbol for their relationship. The hands of the ring are shown holding the heart. The hands denote friendship and togetherness. The heart signifies love, and the crown, loyalty. The expression which was associated with these symbols in the giving of the ring was: "With my two hands I give you my heart, and crown it with my love." Yet, the expression, "Let love and friendship reign forever" can be found as another meaning for the symbols.

Incidentally, the church-wide assembly of the ELCA voted yesterday to roster persons in committed gay or lesbian relationships. Instead of maintaining separation, the church chose the path of inclusion, and ultimately love.

Regardless of one's views on homosexuality, I think it is important to remember that the forefathers of this nation understood that maintaining separation between church and state is essential to guaranteeing personal freedoms. I'm confused that we continue to refuse to afford civil liberties (guaranteed by the state) to couples in committed relationships because of marriage (an institution of the church). At the very least individuals in committed relationships should be allowed to provide support to each other in an emergency room, even though they are not married or blood relatives...be able to make end of life decisions on behalf of each other...and receive the government tax benefit that those of us who were married in the church enjoy.

Auntie Ellie, meeting Nolan for the first time...
Oh...if I could just get my hands on that Taylor...the music I could write.
A snooze with Denise
The boys enjoying some popcorn before the ceremony began.
I lost my voice for the first time in my life last weekend...which severely inhibited my ability to prepare. Ellen and I reunited the band and sang "I Will Be There For You" by Ann Reed. I think I may go into retirement...after I play for Lori's wedding in October. Since I don't have as much time as I'd like to sit down and play piano for enjoyment, I'm noticing that I'm getting terribly out of practice.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Thanks for sharing! Congratulations to Linda and Maxine!

fagerham said...

Thanks for your support, it was truly the best day of our lives. And to think that we wondered if anyone would come and here there were 70 and many that we weren't able to invite.