Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Practicing Non-attachment

For 109 days I have been pumping a minimum of 16 ounces of excess breastmilk at least twice a day, once in the morning after Nolan eats breakfast and once at night, right after Nolan goes to bed. I've carefully packaged this milk in individually labeled, self-sealing BPA-free freezer storage bags and stored it in an overflow upright freezer in the laundry room. There is at least 14 gallons of milk stored for Nolan's future use, and this is a very conservative estimate.

This week I've been busy preparing meals for Ruth, Terry and Tyler, so Ruth doesn't have to worry about food when Cody is finally allowed to come home from the NICU. Unfortunately, the last 9x13 pan of chicken and stuffing I brought down for freezing on Monday afternoon fell and knocked the freezer door open. Today, when I sent Adam downstairs with more breastmilk for storage, he noticed nearly everything in the freezer had began to thaw. The multitude of milk was still cold and slushy, but no longer frozen...and I was very upset.

One of the fundamental goals of yoga is to practice non-attachment, which is a pillar of Buddhism. When you feel anxious, ask yourself, "What idea am I clinging to? And then, "Is it worth the stress?"

I learned today that I'm very attached to that breastmilk, because I've dedicated so much time and energy to it's retrieval and storage...and because I think it's important to appreciate the abundance. These thoughts are not serving me...so I have to learn to let them go.

I know I don't excel in this space, and I'm afraid that until I learn to let go, life is just going to keep sending me learning opportunities.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

If I was home I"d be bee-lining to get some!! Still only doing 3 ounces and have not had a date night yet!!!

Just in Winnipeg, and hope you have good weather - enjoy the 4th! We will have the 1st,

Meghan