The wounded with a worm friend. Aaron insisted on wearing his bloody t-shirt all day.
3 stitches
Unfazed...
Thank goodness it happened on my watch...on what was supposed to be a quick trip to the library to return some overdue books, because I'm not sure how Adam would've handled someone multiply injecting Aaron with lidocaine and stitching his head back together in close range.
We were having one of those days. During a conversation with Adam shortly after he arrived at work I told him we'd be lucky if we made it through the day without stitches or a broken leg. I guess I'm grateful it was the stitches.
Wearing a set of headphones, Collin was occupied surfing through the pbskids.org website. I was reading a book to Aaron on a noticeably comfortable couch while nursing Nolan. I had reminded Aaron a couple of times to sit still, but he kept flopping around. Reaching for a puppet on the stand, he tumbled off the left edge of the couch and hit his head on the wooden arm rest on his way down or on his way back up. Either way, when he stood to face me, he was covered in blood.
I quickly unlatched Nolan and set him in the crook of the couch. He promptly slumped over and was writhing between the back of the couch and the small of my back while I removed Aaron's shirt and pressed it tightly to his head to get the bleeding to stop. In the meantime, a wonderful man offered to rescue Nolan, while a woman who was presumably the 'head librarian' drilled me with the necessary incident report questions.
After sending aforementioned librarian to check out the books Aaron and I had previously selected, we were on our way to the nearest urgent care. Upon arrival we were quickly triaged and sent to a holding room, where I was told that Aaron's injury would require stitches. Yep...knew that. I didn't know, however, that we were at a Fairview urgent care and not a Park Nicollet urgent care...so we were "out of network". I was asked if we would like to drive down to Burnsville to the nearest PN urgent care...and I think I may have laughed. Anyone who thinks the current health care system in this country is something worth fighting for should try to get care.
3 stitches and an hour later we were back in the car. Aaron was so brave. It's no surprise to anyone that Aaron was the first of our sons to get stitches. I don't think we have to worry that this little incident will slow him down. I had no more than turned the key in the car when Aaron insisted he jump out of his car seat onto the cement in the garage.
Dirty bird! Last week Aaron insisted on showing me his unfortunately placed ouwee during a snack time photo shoot. (FYI...since spell checker says I have an error (ouwee), I Googled it. Apparently this spelling of an injury is the bruise you get under your fingernail from opening several beer cans!) I include it here because it is the epitome of my feelings toward the receptionist at the urgent care, who not so politely reminded me of the limitations of our health insurance coverage while suggesting I drive to Burnsville with my three kids, one of whom was bleeding from the head.






No comments:
Post a Comment