I am continually amazed by the heart's capacity to love.
I expressed to close friends before Aaron was born that I feared it wouldn't be possible for me to love another child as much as I loved Collin. Then Aaron arrived...and my heart overflowed with love for him.
I'm finding the same is true for Nolan. I am overwhelmed with love for this tiny person I met just a couple short months ago. I don't love my other children less, or even differently...somehow there is just more room in my heart. I would do anything for these boys...absolutely anything.
No one can prepare you for how it feels to love your children. Last night, after Collin and Aaron had fallen asleep, I returned to their room to give them one last kiss goodnight. Adam always returns to their room before retiring for the evening...to ensure they are safely tucked into their bed.
I lingered for a few extra minutes...cherishing the moment with them. They are growing so quickly. I have this overwhelming desire to protect them from all of the evil in the world...but, know that is not my responsibility. My task is to love them...fully and unconditionally...to give them deep strong roots, so that when the time comes, they feel secure enough to fly away from me.
I'm just not ready for that yet...
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment