Friday night I managed to have all the kids in bed and sleeping by 8:00 pm, a colossal feat by oneself, but aided by an afternoon of fresh air and limitless, unrestricted outdoor play. By the time the Tvedts arrived, I was 100% available to hold my new nephew. Ruth even let me attempt a feeding, which took about an hour from start to finish! I'm not sure how she has time to feed Cody and play with a 20 month old, but she seems to be managing marvelously.
Saturday afternoon we had a surprise visit from Great, Great Aunt Velma and Great Grandma Darlene. Velma, who is 90 something, still lives in her home in California, and has been in SD visiting and helping the "Unks" (Great Great Uncles Bud and Don) since early June. She is the epitome of youth, looking, and more importantly acting, like she is in her seventies. She was down on the floor with the kids, feverishly snapping pictures with her trendy pink digital camera, trying to get them to smile at her. If we were all so fortunate to grow old with such dignity and grace, with both our physical and cognitive function in spectacular condition. She appears to be her mother's daughter, as Great Grandma Amelia was days short of becoming a centurion. Hopefully, though, Velma's path is not also eventually plagued with Alzheimer's.
Later Saturday afternoon, Terry offered the boys a ride on a horse he has spent the summer breaking. Aaron, with a little convincing, decided a ride would be fun. Collin politely declined. When asked at the end of the weekend if he prefers horseback rides or four-wheeler rides, Aaron said four-wheeler. Since he's only two, I hope there's time to change his mind!
After taking the kids to church on Sunday, and staying for coffee and bar hour, Great Grandpa Orville stopped by in the afternoon for a visit. We enjoyed more bean bags and a pizza picnic supper on the front lawn.
I always wish we had more time...
I guess we'll just have to plan another trip soon.






1 comment:
The farm looks like fun ... I want to go too! ~Wendy
Post a Comment