
According to a site I just googled, "newborns use anywhere from 8-15 diapers a day at first. It gradually gets less and less. A one year old uses 5-6 diapers a day on average."
I did some quick math. Assuming kids are toilet trained by 2 1/2 years of age, they use approximately 6,285 diapers in their childhood, which is likely a very conservative estimate. This means by using cloth diapers we've saved the landfill from at least 18,885 diapers! Now that's an impressive environmental impact.
Not to mention the financial savings. $28.99 would buy 144 Huggies Snug and Dry size 3 (16-28 pounds) diapers from Target this week. At this price point, our diaper budget for 3 kids would be $3,795.88.
I'm an outspoken proponent of cloth diapering...especially when it's this easy. I like to think that because of our influence and encouragement, Judy's daughter, Sara, the Gallants, Davis', Dales, Woods, Hawkins and others who they've now influenced, have also experienced the benefits of cloth diapers and saved the landfill from unnecessary garbage. Since some of these folks have used our diapers, instead of buying their own, we've also saved the environment from unnecessary over-production of a reusable resource.
We added some medium Fuzzi Bunz (ideal for babies 15-30 pounds) to Nolan's rotation this week. The remainder of our mediums are currently on Sylvia's bottom. We'll have to get them back soon. I'm not sure how much longer we can expect his small "doublers" to keep up with him.






No comments:
Post a Comment