Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Infant Massage

Nolan, like Collin and Aaron before him, enjoys a nightly massage after his bath. While Adam spends a little quality time with Collin and Aaron after their baths, I have the unique opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with Nolan. He genuinely looks forward to these moments, even fussing when he senses his massage is coming to an end. I treasure this time with him, because I've learned from experience that once he's mobile, he may not be as interested.

I don't really know why I started massaging my kids...I guess it just seemed like the right thing to do. I do know that it helped me bond with them, and I hope it has provided them with even a few of the benefits described in Vimala McClure's book, "Infant Massage."

"Infant massage is an ancient art that connects you deeply with the person who is your baby, and it helps you to understand your baby's particular nonverbal language and respond with love and respectful listening. It empowers you as a parent, for it gives you the means by which you become an expert on your own child and therefore, can respond according to your baby's unique needs. Rather than growing up selfish and demanding (though all kids go through such stages), a child whose voice is heard, whose heart is full, and who is enveloped in love overflows with that love and naturally, unselfconsciously gives of himself to others. He learns what healthy, respectful touch is by being touched that way. He learns self-discipline by watching his parents and imitating them. The deep emotional bonds formed in infancy lay a foundation for a lifetime of trust, courage, dependability, faith, and love."

Collin after his massage. During one of his massages, he fell asleep, right in the middle of the living room floor.
Aaron receiving one of his first massages.

Nolan...enjoying his massage time with Mommy.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Beduhn said...

I'm smiling from ear to ear knowing that you are creating wonderful bonds with your children. They probably won't remember these times, but you always will. But unexplainably, they will "know" the warm heart of their mother. I would have loved giving this ritual to my children and to myself ... had I only known! ~Wendy