Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 17, 2009

Aaron and Mommy Walking In the Woods

Collin's preschool, which just happens to be near Adam's work, sits adjacent to Purgatory Pond in Eden Prairie. We had a little extra time after my appointment yesterday and the weather was gorgeous, so with Nolan in the Bjorn and Aaron on foot, we set off on a nature hike.

Minutes into our stroll down the path we were face to face with a turtle. It was the water variety that we had seen at the Children's Museum last week in the Observation Room (and had I been paying more attention, I would know the exact name of this little creature). He was clearly afraid of us and turtle 'ran' to the water...but not without us getting a very close look!


We continued on...at a turtle's pace. I decided to let Aaron set our pace, knowing it would mean turning around and going back the way we came. He reveled in this freedom, searching through the tall grass for more turtle friends...pointing at singing birds, watching a pair of wood ducks, picking weeds, squatting in the gravel path hunting for pretty rocks.

We encountered a very old man who stopped and offered Aaron a sucker, which we graciously accepted. The man reminded me that "children grow quickly"...and was hoping that he wasn't a burden for his five adult children who still live in and around the Twin Cities. I gathered from our brief visit that his wife had passed on, and that he was doing his best to fill his days and hours.

I know in my heart that this is all going too fast, despite days when the minutes drag on like hours. I want to savour all of this...and more than anything appreciate every little step.

This will be over in the blink of an eye...

No comments: