Great Grandpa Orville came to welcome Nolan today. We invited him for 'dinner' and he stayed well past 'supper'. After catching up with Mom and I, he sat down on the floor and played puzzles with Collin and Aaron until lunch was ready. He can't hear very well anymore. It's ironic really...Collin usually screams when speaking to people, but he spoke quietly when engaging Great Grandpa. Even after Mom explained that he would have to speak up for Grandpa to hear him, he spoke quietly. So...they spent the majority of the time not understanding each other...but enjoying each other's company anyway.
My Grandpa is a kind, patient soul. I spent a lot of time with my Grandpa Orville and Grandma Lavonna. We had a very special relationship, one I can only hope my children have with their grandparents.
My Grandpa always had time for us. He let us ride on the side of the feeder wagon while he did chores, he played Chinese checkers with us, he played Old Maid with us, he let us sit on his lap while he rubbed our ears. I have never heard him yell...or even raise his voice. I have only seen him show love...and incredible patience in every situation.
Grandpa was raised in a different, difficult time. Today Grandpa talked to us about his childhood, his adolescence, his time in Korea, early farming...his Dad and Grandpa and Great Uncles' stories (they were homesteaders). These stories are my history. They help me understand...and to learn more about who I am. It worries me that these stories will be lost...if they are not told and remembered.
As Grandpa was leaving today he said, "It was a good day." Mom says he says this every time she and Aunt Deb go and visit (which they have done weekly since Grandma passed away in September 2005). Collin and Aaron were flying around the living room...and Nolan was having a tough time. In spite of all of this noise he said, "what would we do without family? All those people who said they couldn't handle kids...I wonder what they're doing now?...staring at their big pile of money?"
He's right...It was a very good day. I hope we are blessed with more time to listen to his stories...and learn more about ourselves (and maybe get in a couple more hands of Pinochle!)
My Grandpa is a kind, patient soul. I spent a lot of time with my Grandpa Orville and Grandma Lavonna. We had a very special relationship, one I can only hope my children have with their grandparents.
My Grandpa always had time for us. He let us ride on the side of the feeder wagon while he did chores, he played Chinese checkers with us, he played Old Maid with us, he let us sit on his lap while he rubbed our ears. I have never heard him yell...or even raise his voice. I have only seen him show love...and incredible patience in every situation.
Grandpa was raised in a different, difficult time. Today Grandpa talked to us about his childhood, his adolescence, his time in Korea, early farming...his Dad and Grandpa and Great Uncles' stories (they were homesteaders). These stories are my history. They help me understand...and to learn more about who I am. It worries me that these stories will be lost...if they are not told and remembered.
As Grandpa was leaving today he said, "It was a good day." Mom says he says this every time she and Aunt Deb go and visit (which they have done weekly since Grandma passed away in September 2005). Collin and Aaron were flying around the living room...and Nolan was having a tough time. In spite of all of this noise he said, "what would we do without family? All those people who said they couldn't handle kids...I wonder what they're doing now?...staring at their big pile of money?"
He's right...It was a very good day. I hope we are blessed with more time to listen to his stories...and learn more about ourselves (and maybe get in a couple more hands of Pinochle!)






No comments:
Post a Comment