On my way out the door I happened to glance into the boutique and noticed that some jewelry I've been eyeing for almost a year was on sale...really on sale. Needless to say, sisters reading this blog have some awesome presents headed their way. I even bought something for myself, which is a rarity.
Shortly after I arrived home, I had an e-mail message from Meghan. We've been hoping to take the kids for a walk around Lake Harriet...so we decided that today was the day. Adam just happened to leave me the truck, so I packed up Collin's bike, the jogger and the Baby Bjorn and headed to her house. I said a little prayer that Collin would be able to handle such an aggressive plan...since Meghan lives about 7 blocks away from Harriet, which is a paved three mile bike ride in and of itself.
We embarked shortly after 10:00am. Standing at the light on the corner of 54th and Penn (about 2 blocks from Meghan's house), Collin informed me that he was too tired to bike and wanted to push. After many words of encouragement, we managed to make it to the corner of 50th and Penn, where we enjoyed mocha frappes, and fruit smoothies. The boys put a puzzle of the US together, while Meghan told me she has decided to be a stay-at-home mom.
The noon church bells signaled our arrival at the lake. The boys immediately wanted to throw stones in the water. After finally convincing them that there were more water play spots ahead...we journeyed on in the incredible wind. Collin took advantage of limitless bike path...and got out of sight, at which point both Meghan and I began jogging to catch him and remind him of our rules. After enjoying hot dogs at the band shell, a nursing stop for Nolan and Olivia during which Collin and Aaron enjoyed chocolate ice cream, and what must have seemed like endless biking, riding, walking, running, playing for the kiddos, we arrived back at Meghan's around 2:30pm. The boys were wiped.

One would probably assume that I took the kids home and put them directly to bed...but no. We took baths and jumped in the car with a picnic supper to watch Adam play tennis at the Jefferson courts at the high school.
The boys were unbelievable today. Absolutely amazing. I don't know too many 4 and 2 year-olds that can manage a 5.5 mile walk...let alone many mothers who would even attempt the feat with 3 small children.
Thanks, boys...for our extraordinary life. You make me so happy to be your mom.






1 comment:
It was an extra -ordinary day ! One that will always live in my memory! So specal to share that time with our children and each other.
Seeing Collin and Aaron through it reminded me of childhood and all the glories of it. Who thought rocks and mud and water and tree stumps and picket fences were fun?
Post a Comment