Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, May 29, 2009

Sun Salutations


Dan, Meghan's mat, me and Terese

I was running a little behind this morning...leaving myself approximately 7 minutes to get to Edina for yoga. Since it takes at least 10 minutes when the lights are all working in my favor, I prayed I wasn't driving over in vain again. After all, I have been locked out of yoga on one other occasion for being tardy.

Screeching into the parking lot a little after 6:00am, I bolted out of my car, scantly clad with my yoga mat unraveling behind me while I ran, to encounter our entire class standing outside of the studio doors.

We patiently waited for someone to arrive...someone who could lead us through our vinyasas. Finally, Dan suggested we try to practice ourselves, after all, "isn't it just a few sun a and b's with a little balance thrown in for good measure?"

Nearly everyone left, but four of us stayed and unrolled our mats onto the pavilion pavers in the crisp morning air. We sought to fire up our bodies with a couple chaturanga dandasanas, up dogs and down dogs, but it was evident that we wouldn't be breaking a sweat. It was difficult to achieve balance when gazing at clouds in motion in the sky. It was also challenging to stay present...I yearned for someone to take charge and lead us. But after we began, I was pleasantly surprised that we were practicing in unison with little to no instruction from any of us. Saluting the rising sun, we offered up our practice to letting go of expectations and cherishing whatever the present moment holds.

We practiced until almost 7...and then Meghan and I went to Dunn Brothers for coffee. I will be more open to practicing yoga on my own...and I will definitely practice outside again.

It was the beginning of another extraordinary day.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

It was a genuinely clarifying experience wasn't it?
Love all of your posts!