Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Why I Do What I Do









Every once in awhile we are reminded why we work so hard, doing the things that we do. Today I was reminded why I dedicate so much energy to my job...and why it was so important for me to donate Nolan's cord blood. The following is a blog entry from a family expressing gratitude...for the second chance a donor gave their daughter.


"Monday, April 27, 2009
Letter to the editor
Here's a copy of the letter we sent to the the St. Louis newspaper. Lyle told me April is donor appreciation month. I googled it, and I didn't find that it really was. But I think it is a good idea if it isn't!


Dear Editor,

Our 2-year-old daughter was given a chance for normal life expectancy after the generous gift of someone in your community. Rylie received a cord blood transplant a year ago on May 7. As we approach the anniversary of this life-giving procedure, we remember the gift of the donor who made this possible.

We will never know who donated their child’s cord blood for our daughter, but the information we did receive told us that the cord blood, a perfect match for Rylie, was from the St. Louis cord blood bank and from a female baby born in 2004. We cannot put into words our gratitude to the unselfishness of the donor’s parents by allowing their daughter’s cord blood to be saved in case another might need it. We wish we could tell them that it was needed­­––and it worked! By the grace of God, we are thrilled to say that Rylie is 100% engrafted, and the degenerative genetic disease her body possessed has been halted. Without the cord blood match and transplant procedure, her disorder would have led to regression in development and almost certain death by age 10. Instead she is a thriving, happy toddler with a bright future ahead of her.

We hope this letter encourages others who have given, whether it be cord blood, other blood products, or organs. Their gift does save lives.

Sincerely,

Lyle and Jade

Denver, Colorado"


If you know anyone expecting a baby, please encourage them to consider cord blood donation...
http://www.cryo-intl.com/enroll/donating/
And if anyone is interested in being a marrow donor...please give me a call. You really can save a life.

No comments: