We finally started construction on some new shed doors, since the old ones have been damaged for at least 4 years and blow open and slam around any time we have wind.
Although, I didn't feel the need to don my Habitat tool belt, we had the circular saw, electric sander and electric drill in action. I was in my glory. I think the boys were impressed.
It occurred to me while watching the boys watch Adam and I work that the majority of children in today's society no longer have the opportunity for hands-on apprentice-style learning. This school is still open on family farms...and probably in small construction businesses...but is diminishing as that way of life is phased out for the corporate model. This is a shame. I'm not convinced the education for which we have traded it is superior. Hands-on learning encourages creativity and problem solving...and community.
I pray my boys have more of these opportunities with the elders in their lives...just as I had them with mine. Today I fondly remember learning about construction from Grandpa Orville...when he installed a new sink into our 100 year-old farmhouse, when he built the stairs in Grandpa and Grandma's new house...and when he and Uncles Dan and Garry built the new shop. For some reason he let us watch him...and learn from him. He let us carry a hammer...and showed us how to swing it. These experiences are the reason I'm interested in construction...in having something physical to show for your efforts at the end of the day.
Thank you Grandpa...I am forever grateful.






No comments:
Post a Comment